Union Pearson Express

I'm kind of sure I've posted about the airport rail link in Toronto at some point, but I can't find it through searching my blog. Oh well. Even if I wrote about it before I wouldn't have had a lot of information. So I don't think it hurts to mention it again.

As its name suggests, the Union Pearson Express, or UP Express (except UP doesn't stand for Union Pacific), is the express rail service between Toronto Union Station and Pearson International Airport. This service is scheduled to inaugurate prior to the 2015 Pan Am Games. The UP Express will traverse a distance of 15.5 miles, most of which along the GO Kitchener Line trackage. A new, 2.1 mile, Airport Spur was constructed to connect the GO Train tracks to the airport. Trains will run every 15 minutes and it takes 25 minutes to complete the journey. There are two stops en route, one at Bloor-Dundas, where subway connection is provided, the other at Weston GO Station. Initially, service will be operated by 2 car Nippon Sharyo DEMUs (the line is said to be electrified eventually).

As with GO Transit, the UP Express is also under Metrolinx, the Ontario Provincial Government Agency that owns regional transportation in Greater Toronto. The UP Express has quite a colorful and modern website for your browsing pleasure. They also have a Facebook Page and YouTube Channel (where I posted the following video from). I shall leave it up to you to browse through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Briefly on the AAR Coupler Part 2

Amtrak NPCU

Bombardier IORE